Saturday, September 9

How to achieve rote learning?

During this pre exam period I talked to a lot of people who get really good(or bad) marks in class, how they learn up everything before the exams write it down everything correctly in the exams and then completely forgetting about it. Here are the view of the experts on rote learning-


I. Ajaypath Jain


When I first asked him how he was learning all the stuff up like a machine his respond was that he pays a lot of attention in class and he is able to retain a lot of it this he does not need to learn up a lot of stuff. Then I provided him with a hypothetical situation in which he had missed the History class due to a computer symposium(ya right!), what would he do then to learn up the stuff. He said -


Abbey ek baar paragraph ko padh phir apne mun mein uski ek summary see bunaley aur phir sey uss paragraph ko padh....baass

In english this translates to, "Man! Read the paragraph once then make a summary of that paragraph in your mind and then read the paragraph again. Thats it!". I tried this was but found it to be completely useless as I forgot everything that I had done in the starting till I finished the chapter. But then again the capacity of my brain is less than that of sparrow.


II. Pooja Saxena


Yeah ! You guessed it this is my sister and unfortunately for me she too got really good marks in all her exams. So,I though that I would ask her what her trick was. Her prompt reply was -


Padho phir lihko phir padho phir lihko phir padho phir lihko phir padho phir lihko phir padho phir lihko phir padho phir

Its english translation would be, "Read then write then read then write then read then write". Great going sis! This method is really great if you start studying a long time before the exams. I mean it is for the people who actually believe in regular studies. But for those of us who start like a week before the exams it can be really time consuming.


III. Sanya Kapur


While trying to prepare for the SSt. exams I called her up for some advice on learning up stuff. Even though she is still in class ninth she got a staggering 98% in class eighth. Here is what she had to say when I asked her what she does to learn up history-


Waise I really like history, coz are history teacher is really nice....but when i need to learn up stuff I just read it 3-4 times.....sachchi....mumma sey puchna hai tujhko???

English, "Well! I really like History cause our teacher is really great. But when I do have to learn up stuff I just read the content 3-4 times....Really .... you wanna ask my mom??". Good idea! But again I dont remembmer what I had learned through this method even an hour ago. Sorry!


IV. Prateek Saxena


Okay so I dont get good marks in class now but I did get really good marks like 87's in class eighth so here is how I learn up stuff right before the exams. Close the room, dont put any music, read a single line carefully, close the book repeat the line in your brain. Then go to the next line and then to the next. Once completed the whole paragraph revise it in your brain. That is it! You can remember stuff that you learn from this technique for 3-4 days which is more that enough before the exams.





I hope this has been useful to you! If you have some other way of remembering stuff do tell me.

No comments: